Coronavirus Updates for CrossFit RE
Posted By: BeckyJo Bourgeois on 3.12.2020
March 16, 2020
Time for another update. It’s been officially mandated that all gyms close, and so starting tomorrow (Tues, 3/17), the gym will be unavailable for working out. This will be in effect until March 31, at which point we’ll make another decision based on updated information.
We are not planning on changing the code as we want you to continue to have access to borrow equipment, and even to pick up retail as needed. (The Progenex cocoon has been critical in helping us get any reasonable amount of sleep! Highly recommend. 😉
We love and appreciate you so much. There will be an “after” to this whole thing, and I’m looking forward to that 20/20 hindsight, to seeing how much closer, stronger, and better we all are.
Keep an eye out on Facebook and emails for more info and updates. We LOVE seeing your workout pics and videos and all your scores in SugarWOD. If you haven’t started posting there yet, join us!
Live workouts tomorrow will be:
Zoom at 8 a.m. (look for a link to join!)
Facebook Live at noon (just show up in the private group)
As always: Everyday Better!
Darrick and BeckyJo
March 13, 2020
Hey everyone, we are doing our best to continue to communicate how we are handling this situation as it unfolds very quickly in our area. We are NOT closing, but we are going to implement some necessary changes (more details below).
As we’ve been determining next steps, we have been consulting with healthcare professionals from our gym (both emergency nurses and lung doctors) to help us make wise decisions. Please know we do not take these decisions lightly! The steps we are taking will have an impact on your own routines, and will also impact us personally and financially. But it is at this time that we must put our personal worries and discomforts aside and prioritize the health and well-being of our communities. And if we can save lives (which the science and data suggest is possible) then it will be 100% worth it. This may seem dramatic … but if you take time to look at the data, we can see that brave and drastic measures today will look smart and save lives tomorrow.
“If we reduce the infections as much as possible, our healthcare system will be able to handle cases much better, driving the fatality rate down. And, if we spread this over time, we will reach a point where the rest of society can be vaccinated, eliminating the risk altogether. So our goal is not to eliminate coronavirus contagions. It’s to postpone them.” https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca
For the sake of social distancing and doing our part to slow the spread, we will not be holding regularly scheduled classes for two weeks, beginning Saturday. Last day of regular classes will be today, Friday, March 13. (And even today, we recommend working out from home, or coming during open gym in order to keep class sizes small.) The women’s class and kid’s classes will be fully cancelled for the time being.
So what are your options? Never fear, we care about your health as an individual and our health as a community, and we have a plan!
- CrossFit RE will still be open 24 hours a day. Based on the idea of “social distancing,” we’re hoping that attendance will spread out, meaning fewer people in the gym at any given time. The general rule is to stay at least 6 feet apart.
- We will have coaches present three times a day to clean and disinfect for at least one hour. Scheduled times are:
Monday through Friday: 8-9 a.m., 1-2 p.m., 7-8 p.m.
Saturday: 8-9 a.m., 1-2 p.m.
Sunday: No coach present, but one thorough cleaning in the morning.
While they won’t be coaching a class, you can certainly ask questions or have them check your form.
- We will be posting home workouts on SugarWOD, and we will also be running these workouts live for members! For the first few days (starting Monday), our plan is this:
8 a.m. Zoom group home WOD (where you can join a Zoom group call, everyone on video), and we’ll coach you as best we can!
Noon Live home WOD on Facebook and Instagram! Follow along, or come back later to access the workout.
5 p.m. Zoom group home WOD
It’ll be the same workout offered three times a day in varying formats. We’ll adjust the format as we go, as needed.
- For Home WODs, we recommend having one Dumbbell or Kettlebell of moderate weight. (More equipment is ok too, of course!)
If you have the means, you can order your own equipment from PR Lifting and they will deliver for FREE to the gym next Thursday. Just write “CrossFit RE delivery” in the notes section when ordering. https://prlifting.com/collections/all-products
If you are stretched right now (we understand!), you may take one dumbbell or kettlebell from the gym. Please note it on the provided sheet, and bring it back in two weeks!
I (BeckyJo) used a flat of LaCroix to weight my front squats today, so feel free to get creative til you get that equipment. 😉
- You will use ZenPlanner to sign in for class — yay! We just got the go-ahead this morning to get you all logged in, so stay tuned for more info on how to do that.
- Darrick, Lynch, and BeckyJo will be setting up “office hours” — You’ll have an opportunity to schedule 15-minute calls to chat about goals, nutrition, etc. (Free of charge, of course.) This will be a great way to maintain a level of accountability and to be proactive with your health and fitness. *Link to come when we decide the best method of scheduling.
Ok, that’s what we have for now. Feel free to text us with comments or concerns. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for anything membership-related.
I hope you know how much we love and appreciate you, and we will do our absolute best to provide you with as much value as possible regardless of the situation! Stay SAFE and HEALTHY! Hugs hugs hugs … Air hugs of course. 😉
Darrick and BeckyJo
March 11, 2020
It was announced earlier today that Seattle Public Schools will be closed as of tomorrow (March 12) for at least two weeks. We realize this can put a huge burden on many of you! We have been anticipating this and preparing for all the ways this virus might affect our community, so here are some new updates:
First of all, know that our goal is to keep our doors open and to run all scheduled classes for as long as possible!
Things to be prepared for moving forward:
If any one of our coaching staff decides to self-quarantine or stay away from the gym for any reason, we 100% support and respect that decision. We will do our best to cover classes, but if it becomes necessary, we may end up offering a limited number of classes a day.
If you are currently self-quarantined or think you may be in the near future, we will be providing you with as many resources as possible to stay proactive about your health!
- First, we are currently programming home WODs in SugarWOD. Get signed up, find CrossFit RE, and use this amazing tool to stay connected to the community!
- Stay tuned in the next day or so for a list of ways you might be able to use this time to benefit you, your family, and your family’s long-term health goals. Glass half full! Everyday better!!
If for some reason we are forced to cancel classes, we will broadcast workouts live from home five days a week. Depending on the rules around a city-wide quarantine, you may still have the option to come in and workout on your own! (Please continue to follow ALL cleanliness rules below, even if there’s no coach present to remind you!)
We will continue to follow news and updates about the virus. We’ll also be connecting with doctors and nurses from within our CrossFit family to ensure we’re making the best possible decisions! Thank you for your continued support. It really truly means the world to us in an uncertain time. We hope we can offer you the same level of support!
Darrick and BeckyJo
March 4, 2020
Our goal is to be as proactive as possible! Some rules moving forward:
- If you are sick, or even just feeling crummy, STAY HOME! If you show up and are showing symptoms, the coach will send you home. We are not trying to be jerks; we have a whole community of people to consider.
- Please wash your hands IMMEDIATELY after coming in the door. Don’t touch anything until you do this.
- If you have to cough or sneeze, please do so in either a paper towel or your sleeve.
- No high fives or fist bumps or hugs for awhile. We like a good air high five or a Fresh Prince foot five!
- No more using the kiosk to check in; the coaches will check you in on their phones.
- No more towels; only single-use paper towels. (Also, please don’t throw your used paper towel in a garbage can that does not have a liner in it.)
- Please wipe down all equipment before AND after use. This will make sure it is safe for both you and the next person. (And good news — turns out the gym wipes ARE biodegradable!)
- We will continue to clean and disinfect equipment and surfaces after every coaching shift using a hospital-grade disinfectant. The floor will continue to be cleaned daily.